Discuss what you’ve learned and feel free to express your opinions.(200 word minimum for original post)
In light of the “Me Too” & “Times Up” Movements, we need to raise awareness on this topic!
National Statistics about Sexual Violence on College Campuses
- One in 4 college-aged women report experiences that meet the legal definitions of rape or attempted rape.
- One in 5 college women are raped during their college years.
- Most survivors of sexual assaults are full-time students. Approximately one-third of them are first year students between 17-19 years old.
- In survey of 412 college students, it was found that 11.7% of gay or bisexual men and 30.6% of the lesbian or bisexual women indicated that they had been forced to have sex against their will at some point in their lives.
- 81% of women who were stalked by a current or former partner were also physically assaulted by that same partner (US Department of Justice, 1998)
- 80-90% of sexual assaults are perpetrated by individuals known to the survivor.
- 85% of rapes are committed by a person the victim knows.
- In a recent study by the National Institute of Justice, survivors of rape knew their attackers as:
- Fellow classmates (35.5%)
- Friends (34.2%)
- Boyfriends or ex-boyfriends (23.7%)
- Acquaintances (2.6%)
- One in 12 college men admitted to committing acts that met the legal definition of rape.
- More than one in 5 men report “becoming so sexually aroused that they could not stop themselves from having sex,” even though the woman did not consent.
- 35% of men report some likelihood that they would rape if they could be assured they wouldn’t be caught or punished.
- 81% of on-campus and 84% of off-campus sexual assaults are not reported to the police.
- Fewer than 5% of attempted/completed rapes are reported to law enforcement.
- Nearly 60% of rapes occur in the survivor’s residence hall.
- 52% of reported rapes/sexual assaults occur after midnight; 37% occur between 6pm and midnight.
- In a survey of students at 171 institutions of higher education, alcohol was involved in 74% of all sexual assaults.
(Information from NYU’s Student Health Center)
Here are a couple of local agencies that can provide support.
Oasis Center for Women and Girls:
BTW, both men and women can be victims of these crimes!!!
Discuss what you’ve learned and feel free to express your opinions. (200 word minimum for original post)