Taiwan: Discussion questions
1. How has ‘land reform’ contributed to the rapid industrialization of Taiwan?
2. What role have ‘Sweat Shops’ and long hours played in Taiwan’s ‘rags to riches’ story?
3. The forces unleashed by rapid industrialization brought increased competition for labor in Taiwan. What impact did this increased competition have on wages and the standard of living of the Taiwanese people?
4. According to the global computer giant ‘ACER’ which is based in Taiwan, what are the keys to Taiwan’s economic success?
5. Taiwan has thrived in the global economy by specializing in what they do best! How have they managed to survive and prosper without producing their traditional rural products? Are there any dangers in this approach?
6. What role has globalization played in the increased wealth and improved political freedom of the people of Taiwan?