Final Paper Topic Proposal
For the Final Paper, you will identify three to five research studies from peer-reviewed sources that were published within the last ten years, which investigate a particular social science problem or topic. The Final Paper will focus on critiquing the varying statistical approaches used in each of these studies.
For your assignment this week, you must:
- Identify a social science research topic that you intend to focus on for your Final Paper. You may identify any social science problem or topic; however, it must be something that has been studied using quantitative research methods. Some examples of possible topics include:
- Effectiveness of therapeutic interventions for a psychological disorder
- Causes or treatment strategies for violence and aggression
- Strategies for reducing prejudice
- Factors impacting domestic violence
- Causes and treatment of addiction
If you cannot identify quantitative research studies to critique, you will be unable to complete the Final Paper and therefore may need to select a different topic. Consequently, you are encouraged to search the Ashford University Library for quantitative research studies on your chosen topic to ensure there are enough available for use. For this assignment, include at least one quantitative research study from a peer-reviewed source that was published within the last ten years, cited according to APA guidelines and that supports your chosen topic.
In order to identify which studies are quantitative, skim the results section of the database you are searching. If the results section contains a summary of statistical tests, then it would be considered quantitative. Often the article’s abstract will also make it clear that the study is quantitative by including comments about the comparisons made in the study.
- Describe your research topic.
- Justify why you have decided to focus on this particular topic for your Final Paper.
- Create a research hypothesis that will be the focus of your Final Paper.
- Include an introduction and conclusion. The paper should be one to two pages in length (excluding title and reference pages) and adhere to proper APA formatting as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center.