For this project, you will select and critique a nursing theory of your choice. You will:
- Write an original paper.
- Submit it to the dropbox for a grade based on the rubric.
The following are some conceptual models and theories you may choose from; however, you may choose any nurse theorist:
- Florence Nightengale’s Environmental Model
- Catherine Kolcaba’s Comfort Theory
- Dorothy Johnson’s Behavioral System Model
- Hildegard Peplau’s Interpersonal Process Theory
- Dorothea Orem’s Self-Care Deficit Theory
- Ida Jean Orlando’s Nursing Process
- Sister Calista Roy’s Adaptation Model
- Madeleine Leininger’s Theory of Culture Care Diversity and Universality
- Jean Watson’s Nursing as Caring Theory
- Margaret Newman’s Health Expanding Consciousness
- Martha Roger’s Science of Unitary of Human Being
- Abdellah’s Patient-Centered Approaches Theory
Steps to follow to do your critique:
- You can visit the Fitne website to watch videos about the above mentioned theorist.
can use the Internet to find a journal or articles that provides an
analysis and critique of a theory of nursing as a resource to start
working with your own critique.
- You need to login entering the following information:
- Username: medical center campus
- Password: medical
- Under the Nurse Theorists: Portraits of Excellence (Volume I) link select the theorist of your choice
- On the left navigation area select a topic to view
- You must use the criteria for analysis and critique of theories in Chapter 1 of the George text book.
will select the link “Library Resources” found under the “NUR3846 –
Library” tab (located on left-side of screen) to do your research and
complete your literature review of the model/theory you selected.
- You may physically visit the library in person as well, and ask for help from the library staff.
Your critique must have the following headings and follow APA Guidelines.
- Describe the main ideas of the theory (should include the assumptions under which the theory operates).
- What are the main concepts?
- What are the main relationships between the concepts?
- How do different concepts affect each other?
Origins of the Theory
- What was going on in the profession of nursing or in American society that may have influenced the theory?
- What values, theories, evidence, and/or existing knowledge did the theorist cite as support for the theory?
- What motivated the theorist to write the theory?
- What approach to theory development did the theorist use?
- How useful is this theory in practice?
- Is the theory practical and helpful to nursing?
- Does it contribute to understanding and predicting outcomes?
- Cite an example/case study where this theory could be used.
- How testable is this theory?
- Has this theory generated research? How many and what types of studies?
- Give one example of a study done using the theory
- What types of statements are the propositions?
- Is the theory comprehensive and specific?
- How general is the theory?
- Summarize the strengths and weaknesses of the theory.
would you use or not use this theory in your own advanced practice?
(Begin to think about the your presentation “Synthesis of Nursing