Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: “A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings”
- Link (website with audio): Remembering the Magical Realism Of Gabriel García Márquez (46:40)
- Minimum of 1 peer-reviewed library resource
Magical realism encompasses a range of different concepts, but most importantly, shares stories from a world whose reality is different than ours. Gabriel García Márquez combines elements of fictional writing with fantasy and magic in, “A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings.” However, the audience does not distinguish between the two, as the natural world and fantasy are combined into one.
Consider the ordinary and extraordinary in, “A Very Old Man with Enormous Wings.” How does the author make his audience (you) believe the “old man” is an angel? Keeping this in mind, reflect on how people today would react if an event like this actually occurred. How would people in the real world respond? Why would they respond this way? Additionally, comment on what the author is expressing about the way individuals react to wondrous events.
Do NOT use Sparksnotes, eNotes, Wikipedia, or similar websites, as these are not academic in nature. If you do so, you will earn an automatic F. Your essay may be submitted to Turnitin, so please use the University library or .org and .edu resources.
Writing Requirements (APA format)
- 4 pages (approx. 300 words per page), not including title page or references page
- 1-inch margins
- Double spaced
- 12-point Times New Roman font
- Title page with topic and name of student
- References page (minimum of 1 resource – in addition to the text)