Think about your unique nursing practice specialty area and the population you serve. Is there a clear connection to practice and theory in your specific nursing specialty area? In this discussion post, you will describe the relationship between theory and nursing practice and how you could implement theory into nursing practice.
- Describe why nursing theory is important to today’s nursing practice.
- How would you select and introduce a nursing theory or model into your nursing practice?
- Please introduce yourself to the class and let us know anything about you that you want: work experience, where you live, hobbies, etc…
Your initial posting should be at least 400 words in length and utilize at least one scholarly source other than the textbook
Nightingale Case Study
Write a 1000-1500-word APA paper addressing each of the following points. Be sure to completely answer all the questions for each bullet point. Separate each section in your paper with a clear heading that allows your professor to know which bullet you are addressing in that section of your paper. Support your ideas with at least three (3) outside sources and the textbook using citations in your essay. Make sure to cite using the APA writing style for the essay. The cover page and reference page in correct APA do not count towards the minimum word amount. Review the rubric criteria for this assignment.
Mrs. Adams, a 68-year-old widow who was referred to case management upon discharge from the hospital based on her physician’s recommendation that she is not able to care for herself independently. Her diagnosis is diabetes, hypertension, and breast cancer. She is 5 days’ post-op from a right sided mastectomy. Mrs. Adams apartment is located in a low income area of the city where crime is prevalent. Upon assessment by the Community Health Nurse, Mrs. Adams apartment was in disorder with minimal airflow or light. Her cloths appeared unchanged and she had no food in the apartment. The small apartment also housed 3 cats and a small dog who Mrs. Adams considers family since the death of her husband 1 year ago. Mrs. Adams complains of pain and draining from her surgical site and a broken air conditioner.
- What are the five essential components of Nightingales Theory?
- Using Nightingales Environmental Theory, what actions would the nurse take upon the first assessment of Mrs. Adams?
- Prioritize an appropriate care plan for Mrs. Adams?
- Apply Nightingale’s Environmental Theory to an area of your nursing practice, what patient population would benefit from this approach? Support this practice change with at least one evidenced-based article (this means current EBP of 5 years of less for the article.)
The assignment should be completed in APA format, as an essay of between 1000 and 1500 words. The paper should include at least 2 outside references and the textbook. The paper should be in APA format with a title page, level headings, and reference page, please see the Shell that I have included in this module.
Length: 1000 – 1500 words
Structure: Include a title page and reference page in APA format. These do not count towards the minimum word count for this assignment. Your essay must include an introduction and a conclusion.
References: Use appropriate APA style in-text citations and references for all resources utilized to answer the questions. A minimum of three (3) outside scholarly sources and the textbook are required for this assignment.