answer the 2 discussion question
NOTE: We do not resell pre-written papers. Upon ordering a paper, we custom-write an original paper exclusively for you. Please proceed and order an original paper to enjoy top grades.
Order a Similar Paper
Order a Different Paper
Check out this interpretation of deterrence from a 2016 Spring Super Bowl Advertisement… (NOTE: the video is not high quality but you’ll get the point).
While this example is for entertainment purposes, our everyday environment is full of more serious kinds of deterrence-based signs.
One example is below:
Participate in the Module 3 Discussion Deterrence Signs
Look around your living/schooling/work contexts to identify at least two examples of deterrence signs (of which you will need picture).
- Return to the discussion of Beccaria’s approach to defining deterrence to offer insights into how your examples illustrate principles of his work.
- For example, what elements of deterrence are emphasized in your example. How is your example constructed to communicate fear of punishment?
- Do you think your examples are effective in terms of deterrence? Why or why not?
Remember that deterrence theory is fundamentally based on the desire to prevent or control actions (especially criminal behaviors) through fear of punishment.
*Your examples can be serious or funny. Either way, please include a picture. [To include your picture in the discussion post click on the camera icon in the upper right. Select file from your computer.]
Your chapters this week gave you an overview and examples of research and theory coming out of the Classical School of Criminology. The prison system was developed on these theories because they laid for the groundwork for thinking about why people commit crimes and identifying what the best approach to preventing future crime. There is no doubt that there are problems with the prison system as it exists in the United States today. Do you think is fundamentally at odds with the insights from these chapters? (This is a rhetorical question as stated here…but think about it).
Below is a short clip covering the judicial practices of a judge from Ohio. His approach is consistent with shame-based or retributive practices used within the deterrence model. How so?
Review the text and video included in Module 3: Shaming & Deterrence Theory.
Compose a discussion post with the following elements*:
- Take a position on this type of punishment practice. (you for it or against it? or is it more complicated than that?)
- Summarize your position in no more than 5 sentences.
- Include 1-3 additional sentences on how criminology theory supports/does not support your position.
- Consider such questions as: What did you read in the book that is consistent/gives reason/justification for this approach to punishment? How does this all jive with your personal position?
- Locate a short news article regarding a recent crime in the local North East Ohio region. Insert a hyperlink to the article.
- Argue for why the perpetrator of this crime may or may not be a good candidate for this type of judicial action. If you are arguing for shaming, include an example of a punishment you might assign if you were the judge.
* Compose your post as an essay-style paragraph(s). Do not post a list of answers, and do not use bullet points.